Sunday, June 12, 2011

At last!

Splash! After a busy week of last minute tasks and repairs the boat is finally resting comfortably in a slip. This is the first time I've launched this boat and was pleasantly surprised how smoothly everything went. I was able to install the new bow eye and winch, finish repairs to the outboard and mount a windex 15 to the masthead.


I was however sucker punched with a new problem, which is my normally my luck. When fastening the outboard to the engine bracket the port side clamp broke off, I guess I over tightened it or it had an unnoticed crack. I limped the boat over to it's slip but this will need to be resolved before I can really start using the boat. This Suzuki DT8 was made in 84 so I'm sure the part is going to be next to impossible to find. I'll start checking eBay and craigslist but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm thinking that Tohatsu 6 sail pro is going to find it's way to my doorstep.

2 comments:

Sean T said...

I have the 2013 tohatsu 6 hp...I found it to run a bit rough during the break in period...runs well now but it does need top premium gas to run nice.

Jay said...

There are two other boats in the marina running these engines and they really like them. At some point I'd really like to make the switch to four-stroke but I just rebuilt the lower unit and converted my DT8 to a long shaft which I'm really happy with.