Saturday, May 21, 2011

Coming Together...

The topside is finally clean after half a day of scrubbing. Sitting all winter uncovered beneath some trees made for a tough day of cleaning, won't make that same mistake next season. I discovered the windows and a couple stanchions leak so I'll repair these as I have time after it's moored.



The stock outhaul needs improvement, a setup with a mechanical advantage would be best but I'm out of time so maybe next year. For now I bought a new Ronstan swivel block and added some eye straps to the boom.



I thought it would be a good idea to check the masthead, everything looked great so I cleaned and lubed the sheaves and put it back together. Installed the new standing rig and halyards then stepped the mast to find out the shrouds are to short. I opened all the turnbuckles half way and as I raised the mast it would bind up. The only way I could get the mast up was to open the shroud turnbuckles all the way, so far I couldn't even get the cotter pins in. The head and back stay were fine so I returned the shrouds to D & R for replacements, should have them next week.



Things are coming together nicely with just a few more projects to complete. The focus next weekend will be to replace the broken bow eye and finish rebuilding the lower unit on the outboard. I checked with the marina and they still have plenty of slips available, I'm getting anxious and can't wait to launch soon!

No comments: