Monday, February 23, 2009

Something Resembling Progress...

A lot of time has passed since my last post and not much work has been done. The weather has been nice here which gives a false sense of spring and renewed urgency to get this project back on track. I've started cutting the bunk areas out of 1/2" pressure treated plywood which will be painted with an exterior alkyd enamel. The bulkheads will be made from 1/2" marine ply as soon as I can find a reasonable source, the local lumberyard wants $80.00 a sheet which I think is ridiculous.


I stripped all the teak off the boat this weekend to see if any of it is worth saving. Surprisingly with a lot of sanding and some gorilla glue I think everything except the hatch boards can be salvaged. Which is good news because this stuff is crazy expensive. Hopefully by next weekend I have some photos of some freshly sealed teak!


Another pleasant surprise is the Suzuki outboard that came with the boat, it runs like a sewing machine. Turns out it's a 1985 DT8 two stroke and is a perfect match for the boat. The previous owner bought it at a garage sale and never had it running before he decided to sell. I'm going to replace the fuel line, water pump and paint the lower unit and call it good.

No comments: